7.18.2008

The Word of the Day is FRUSTRATED!!!!!!!

The cycle has been cancelled, just one word... FRUSTRATED!

I am fine, just FRUSTRATED! The follicle on the right and the left are both still at 10 mm. FRUSTRATED!!!!!!!! I did some blood work, and the doctor called back to tell me that my hormones are "wacky", my lining isn't thick enough and she feels it is best to just cancel so we can have the prime environment for the embryo. I completely agree, but FRUSTRATING! She believes it still has to do with the miscarriage, but now I am wondering if maybe this happens to my cycle more than I know. It could explain a bit of the problem.

Top three reasons I am FRUSTRATED:

(1) The study only pays for five ultrasounds, all of which have been used up. Cha-Ching! $$$
(2) I have missed 5 mornings of works and spent hundred's of dollars in gas. Cha-Ching! $$$
(3) My body sucks at obeying and my excitement for the month of July, just flew straight out the window!

So, RE wants the next cycle to be a clomid cycle frozen embryo transfer. In the past I responded pretty well to clomid. This should help the follicle or follicles (last time I took it, I got two) grow at a steady pace and help us better gage and hopefully ensure ovulation. She is hoping that we may be able to pinpoint ovulation in only one or two ultrasounds. If that is the case, we should only be out about $700. Cross your fingers for a good response and only ONE ultrasound.

What is clomid?

Clomiphene citrate (also known as Clomid or Serophene) is a medication that is commonly used in fertility treatment. Because it is relatively inexpensive and can be administered orally, clomiphene is generally one of the first medications prescribed for patients who do not ovulate regularly.

In women who do ovulate regularly, clomiphene may be used for "superovulation," where 2 or 3 eggs are produced. This increases the number of "targets" for the sperm, thereby increasing the chance of pregnancy.

Clomiphene is normally administered for five days during the follicular part of the cycle (the portion of the cycle following menstrual bleeding). Clomiphene is structurally similar to estrogen and acts on the estrogen receptor. First approved by the FDA in 1967, it has recently been reclassified as a selective-estrogen-receptor-modulator (SERM).

How does clomiphene work? The hormonal signals that cause the ovarian follicles to grow are released from the pituitary gland. These hormones are named Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH) and Leutinizing Hormone (LH) for their actions in the ovary. The pituitary receives its signals from the hypothalamus in the brain. Clomiphene blocks the estrogen receptor and "tricks" the brain into thinking there are low levels of estrogen. The pituitary responds by releasing more FSH and LH, thus stimulating follicular growth in the ovaries.

Results from the MTHFR are NOT back, I will post once they are and still praying for some good news. I got blood drawn from BOTH arms yesterday. Did I mention that I am FRUSTRATED? TGIF!!!!!

No comments: