The Back-up Plan?

What if... and what next?

Don't get me wrong, I am hopeful... I SWEAR I am hopeful for the FET!!!!!!

I feel that I need to have a back up plan in place. That is just me, I am a planner and nothing is going to change that. I need to have something to move forward to because Christmas is inching closer and I am not sure I am strong enough to go through the holidays childless once again. So, we plan to do a couple of IUI's on injectible medications. We have pretty much been assured now that what we need is injectible medications. I can get pregnant on my own (with left over injects in my system), and I we don't seem to have implantation issues (Beta HCG 2900). So... moving onto an IUI seems like it could also work and save some money too.

What is an IUI?

An IUI -- intrauterine insemination -- is performed by threading a very thin flexible catheter through the cervix and injecting washed sperm directly into the uterus. The whole process doesn't take very long — it usually only requires the insertion of a speculum and then the catheter, a process that maybe takes a couple of minutes (60-90 seconds to introduce the catheter, then sperm injection, and another 60 seconds or so to remove the catheter.

We have done two IUI's in the past using clomid (oral medication), but never on injectible medications. In the past our IUI's were about $900 each. We would need to have probably an extra three appointments/ultrasounds which would put us at about $1500 and then another $1500 for medications. So around $3000 each. I have been saving $ like a crazy women so we will be ready to financially jump right into a heavily medicated IUI. I question it because the odds of multiples are EXTREMELY high with IUI's (have you ever seen Jon & Kate plus 8?... Yes she did IUI's).

See with IVF we can see the embryo's fertilize and then put back one, two, or three. With an IUI that is NOT an option, we hope for five or six eggs and then hope only two of them fertilize. This leads me to the question do we wait and save more money for another round of IVF ($13,000) which has less risk of multiples and also a higher success rate or do we give it a shot because I just don't want to wait anymore and I want to be a Momma so bad it aches down to my bones?

No comments: