7.08.2008

Recipes

So I made this slaw... it is pretty good for ZERO... yes ZERO points! Gabe thought it could use a little splenda, so next time I may add a teaspoon of it.

We had it last night with Ground Turkey Sloppy Joe's. I used my Mama's recipe which is Yum-O and swapped the ground beef for ground turkey. I had only 1/2 the bun and Gabe had a full one, but normally he would have had two. He is doing very well.

We both love ground turkey, Gabe was very impressed especially since my Mama's sloppy Joe's and Meat Loaf are a couple of his favorites and he hardly noticed a difference on the Sloppy's. I actually thought they were even better. Gabe really enjoys taking some of favorite meals and adapting them, so far so good.

We also had some lemon sorbet topped with plums and mint from our yard. To drink I had a splash of Light Cranberry juice (made with splenda), calistoga sparking water, and a squeeze of lime. This is my new favorite drink. Super refreshing!



Summer Slaw
Makes 6 servings
POINTS® value 0 per serving

Ingredients
4 cups shredded Napa cabbage (I used coleslaw mix)
1 1/2 cups peeled shredded jicama
2 Tbsp lime juice
2 Tbsp rice vinegar
1 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt


Instructions
Toss the cabbage, jicama and radishes in a salad bowl.
Add the lime juice, vinegar, sesame oil, cumin and salt. Toss well to serve. (Store, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days, omit the salt; add it just before serving.)
Serving size: 1 cup.


I had everything on hand for this, so I decided to give it a try for only 1 pt. It was pretty good, not fantastic, but good. I dipped with veggies and a few pita chips. Mine was thinner than I anticipated I think it might be because I used fresh salsa and the juice.

Black Bean Dip
POINTS® Value: 1
Servings: 8
Preparation Time: 5 min
Cooking Time: 0 min
Level of Difficulty: Easy

This crowd-pleasing dip is a snap to make. Add some diced jalapeno peppers or hot sauce if you want it extra spicy.
Ingredients
15 oz canned black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup cilantro, fresh, leaves, loosely packed, plus extra for garnish
1/2 cup salsa (I had fresh pico de gallo on hand that I made over the weekend)
1/2 cup plain fat-free sour cream
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp table salt

Instructions
Put all ingredients in a food processor or blender; blend until desired consistency—either chunky or smooth. Spoon dip into a serving bowl and garnish with cilantro. Yields about 1/4 cup of dip per serving.

No comments: